The Bath and North East Somerset, Swindon and Wiltshire Integrated Care Board (ICB) is a statutory body which brings together NHS organisations with local authorities and other partners to work to improve population health and establish shared strategic priorities.
The ICB oversees how money is spent and makes sure that health services work well and are of high quality. It brings together hospitals, primary care, local councils, hospices, voluntary community, and social enterprise (VCSE) organisations and Healthwatch partners in our local places: Bath and North East Somerset, Swindon and Wiltshire.
We are part of the BSW Together Integrated Care System (ICS) which became a statutory body on 1 July 2022 and one of 42 ICSs in England. As an ICB, we have taken on the functions and broader strategic responsibility for overseeing healthcare strategies for the system from Bath and North East Somerset, Swindon and Wiltshire Integrated Care Board, which has now been dissolved.
As an ICS, BSW Together has four key purposes to:
- improve outcomes in population health and healthcare
- tackle inequalities in outcomes
- experience and access, enhance productivity and value for money
- support broader social and economic development
The BSW ICB will use its resources and powers to achieve demonstrable progress on these aims, collaborating to tackle complex challenges, including:
- improving the health of children and young people
- supporting people to stay well and independent
- acting sooner to help those with preventable conditions
- supporting those with long-term conditions or mental health issues
- caring for those with multiple needs as populations age
- getting the best from collective resources so people get care as quickly as possible.
We serve a combined population of 940,000 and cover a large and varied geographical area (1,511 miles squared) that includes the densely populated and growing town of Swindon to the north, the historic city of Bath, Salisbury plains to the south, and the rolling Mendip Hills to the west.
You can find out more about our constitution here. This is an important document that sets out what the ICB will do and how it will work.